What is Arts Award?
Arts Award is a nationally recognised qualification, that supports young people’s development as artists and arts leaders. Young people develop wider cultural skills and celebrate artistic, communication and leadership achievements throughout each award. There are 5 levels, available to young people aged 5-25, and we offer all 5 at HAC.
When can you do your Arts Award?
• Discover is available to children and young people aged 5 upwards
• Explore is an accredited award, available for children and young people aged 7 upwards
• Bronze, Silver and Gold are accredited awards and are available to young people aged 11 up to 25
These awards are accredited; what level are they?
- Discover Arts Award level is an introductory award
- Explore Arts Award level is equivalent to Entry Level 3 (pre-GCSE)
- Bronze Arts Award level is equivalent to Grades D – F at GCSE level
- Silver Arts Award level is equivalent to Grades A* – C GCSE level
- By achieving the Gold Arts Award, you are working at A Level Standard and you also achieve 35 UCAS points
Assessment is through submission of a portfolio under guidance of the Arts Award Adviser. More qualification information including credit values is available on the Arts Award website.
How you can get involved
Through a project with HAC
We offer the awards through a range of our projects and classes, from Discover level through to Gold. You can achieve them through specific projects including 100% Producers, Disability Arts Festival, half term workshops, holiday projects, nominated one-off workshops and our work with schools. In 2017/18 we are also delivering Arts Award in the wider London Borough of Harrow, as the Arts Award Area Development leader, through nominated projects with partners including Headstone Manor Museum, Harrow Music Service and Young Harrow Foundation.
Look out for the Arts Award symbol on our website for opportunities to take part in an Arts Award.
Through your school
Some schools, libraries and cultural organisations in Harrow already offer Arts Award, and we’re working to help new schools set up the programmes too. We offer opportunities to see backstage, workshop and performance spaces and can review performances to help you complete the awards. If your school would like to take part, or would like help to set up an Arts Award project, please contact us for more information on how we can help.
As an individual
If you are taking part in the Arts Award elsewhere, we can still help you out! If you can bring some evidence of taking part, you’re eligible for all The Guestlist discounts at Box Office.
If you’d like to take part, please contact Cathy Al-Ghabra, Participation Programmer on 020 3773 7165 or firstname.lastname@example.org